When your child gets a diagnosis of a disability—or when you simply suspect they may have a special health care need—you have questions. What should you do now? Who do you contact? What’s next? What will allow your child to live the healthiest, happiest life possible?
Our experts believe the following ten tasks will set your family up for long-term success.
- Get a Formal Diagnosis.
- Seek Services and Resources.
- Place Your Child on the Interest Lists for Medicaid Waivers in Texas.
- Take Care of Yourself.
- Create a Vision for Your Child’s Life.
- Think in detail about how your child can have a good life. Write it down. What are your hopes and dreams for them now and in the future?
- Think big. Don’t limit your vision to what’s available now.
- Trust Your Instincts.
- You’re the best expert on your child’s need, wants, and personality.
- If something seems wrong, you’re probably right. Seek support and expertise.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask Questions.
- Learn About Programs and Services for People with Disabilities.
- Visit NaviagteLifeTexas.org whenever you have a question.
- Search for information on:
- Learn About Your Insurance.
- Call your insurance company and ask them what they cover (and what they don’t). Ask about specific therapist, specialists, timing, etc.
- Ask what the lifetime cap is (if any).
- Learn About the Future.
View the video library