Navigate Life Texas: Resources for kids with disabilities and special needs

Navigate Life Texas: Resources for kids with disabilities and special needs

Educational Services for Children with Special Healthcare Needs

05/08/2017 | Published by: Becky Tarwater

Every school district is required to assess children for school services. Many children with disabilities or special health care needs qualify for services through Special Education or Section 504. Here are ways families can work with their school district to get educational services for their children, starting with an evaluation.

If you think your child qualifies for school services, you may ask for an evaluation. It is best to make the request in a letter. The letter should include your request for an evaluation and a limit of 5 school days for the school to set up an appointment for you to sign a consent. The timeline starts once you have signed the consent. The school has 60 calendar days to complete the testing. If you do not agree with the results, you may ask the school for an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE)—to be paid for by the school.

You will meet with the school in an ARD meeting to decide if your child qualifies for special education services. If you and the school do not agree, you may ask for mediation or due process through Texas Education Agency. If you have questions about that process, call the TEA Parent Hotline number at 512-463-9720. If the school district asks to stop your child’s special education services, and you do not agree, you may also request mediation or due process.

It is important to learn ways to help get your child get what they need. These quick tips may help.

  • Always put requests in writing
  • Save all paperwork
  • Keep a notebook for your child’s records
  • Make a “diary” or log of all school communication
  • Learn the laws
  • Talk with other parents about strategies
  • “No” is not always the final answer
  • Keep trying!

Remember that schools and families can work together and that parents are the best experts on their children. 

For more information about Texas Special Education Legal Framework to


Read More Posts from Education & Schools

Six Tips for a Successful Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) Meeting

Preparing for an ARD meeting is tough and emotionally exhausting. You’re planning your child’s education–for their future–and you want to get it right. Here are tips to help you be successful.

Student Introduction Portfolio: Our Vision Statement

When you have a child(ren) with a disability label, it seems far too often the focus is on the label, not the child. Create an introduction portfolio that tells your child’s story about who they are. And read it at every Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meeting. Here’s how.

Advocacy Through Civic Involvement

To advocate for our children, we must be informed and active in the decision-making processes—from local to state to national concerns. There are tools to assist in finding helpful resources.