Navigate Life Texas: Resources for kids with disabilities and special needs

Navigate Life Texas: Resources for kids with disabilities and special needs

Texas Autism Supplement

07/28/2016 | Published by: Kelly Mastin

The number of kids with autism in Texas is growing. Most of those children go to public school. Many of them receive special education services because of their diagnosis.

The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires a special addition to the Individual Education Program (IEPs) of students who have autism. It is called the Texas Autism Supplement. This supplement ensures that students with autism get the accommodations they need in school.

All IEPs can and should address all needed accommodations. But the Autism Supplement was created to try to fix some common details that were often ignored by school districts. The supplement is a way for schools to double check that services are appropriate.

If you have a child with an autism diagnosis, there are some things for you to know:

  1. Be sure that the Autism Supplement is included in your child’s IEP ARD paperwork.
  2. Familiarize yourself with the items listed in the supplement. And last, stay involved with your child’s education to ensure that their IEP is properly implemented.

The Texas Autism Supplement includes:

Class size. The ARD Committee should discuss what class size is appropriate for the child. The committee decides class size for learning new topics and for practicing knowledge. The class size can vary for core subjects, PE, and fine arts. Sometimes a child benefits from having an extra adult in the room. Sometimes a child needs small group learning. That information should be reflected in the ratio.

Family training. Families of students with autism are offered in-home training, as well as other organized and focused trainings in the community. All needed areas of training should be listed.

Extended services. The ARD Committee should discuss whether a student needs extended school days or extended school year. Extended services can be before or after school and over summer break.

Behavior. Behavior plans and positive behavior supports are sometimes needed. Be sure they are listed.

Future planning. Transition and future planning can begin at any age. The ARD Committee should discuss whether it is needed.

Communication. Many students with autism struggle with communication. The ARD Committee should discuss how to support the student’s communication with teachers and peers.

Social skills. Social skills training should be considered. The committee should discuss whether social skills training is needed. Needed training should be documented in the supplement.

Teaching strategies. Students respond differently to different types of teaching. Any useful teaching practices should be noted in the IEP paperwork.

Teacher training. The ARD Committee should decide if the staff needs more training. These specific trainings should be listed.

Parents can play a more active role in their child’s education when they know more about their child’s IEP. Double check your child’s paperwork to ensure each of these items are discussed and documented. Consider if you think your child’s IEP is appropriate. Sometimes these items need to be revisited and updated. Don’t be afraid to ask.

For more information visit the Texas Project First Website.


Read More Posts from Education & Schools

It’s Not Too Early to Think about an Extended School Year!

It's important for parents of children with disabilities to have Extended School Year plans for their child on their radar months before school ever gets out.

Strategies to Improve the IEP Planning Process & Educational Outcomes for Your Child

Learn strategies to create a vision for your child’s future and help them achieve that vision using the Individual Education Program IEP process.

The Value of Knowing What You Don’t Know

There is no truer statement than "You don't know what you don't know." But what is the impact of not knowing? If your child has a disability, the value of knowing what you don't know could be life changing!