October 24, 2018 |
If you have to travel or spend more time in the car than your child can tolerate, here are some car safety options:
- One is the E-Z-On Vest– this car seat harness will allow your child to lay down on a bench seat and be safely secured.
- For a smaller child, consider a laying down car seat like the Hope Car Bed. There are several car seats that allow for more reclining than typical car seats. And they provide extra support in select areas for children who need it.
- Carry stuffed animals. Use different shaped stuffed animals as positioning devices to hold the tubing. I’ve even used them to mop up a spill when there was nothing else handy. I can’t count the number of times we used them as pillows on exam room tables.
- Wipes can be super handy, too. Of course, there is the obvious use of cleaning up diapers. But they are also great for cleaning up spills or to just freshen up. We’ve all been there- sitting in the hot car or sun. Do a quick armpit wipe and you’ll feel and smell much better!
- If your child is in diapers, you can’t always be sure that there will be an accessible changing option while you are out. Consider carrying a small camping cot or a yoga matt in your car. In a pinch, these can be pulled out to provide a clean and comfortable area to change a diaper on the go.
Here are a few other suggestions on items to keep in your car:
- A package of disposable underpads handy for all types of needs,
- Car chargers for equipment you can’t be without (suction machine, feeding pump, iPad)
- Bottled water (for use with pills, to drink, for spills, etc.)
- For families here in Texas, some sort of cooling device (a battery-powered fan, a cooling rag, etc.)
- If you have a Go Bag, be sure to keep it handy when you are out of the house as well.
Read Marty’s other articles for great parenting ideas.